Is your marketing helping, hurting, or making no difference?
Take our quiz and find out!
Having trouble watching this video? Click here.
Patient Attraction Episode 1162
Dentistry consistently ranks as one of the 2 best professions in the United States. Talk to enough dentists, though, and you’d have to wonder whether that’s true. All over the country, dentists are working too hard for too long for too little. It’s no wonder that a lot of them feel like the practice is a burden rather than the vehicle that will take them to their dreams. After the break, I’ll tell you how you can look forward to going to work again. Stay tuned.
– I’m Colin Receveur, CEO of SmartBox.
– Thanks for watching the Patient Attraction Podcast™.
– I’ve been talking with dentists almost every day for years.
– It’s disheartening to hear how many of them have become disillusioned about their profession.
– When they were in dental school, they never saw a future like what they’re experiencing.
– Some never dreamed that they’d be running from operatory to operatory to help patients who want the absolute minimum of care.
– Others never dreamed that they’d constantly be fighting to get enough patients to keep their chairs filled.
– And still others never envisioned dentistry as a cold, hard, endless parade of boredom.
– I firmly believe that dentistry doesn’t have to be unrewarding.
– In fact, I’ve made it my life’s mission to help dentists succeed on their own terms.
– What does “on their own terms” mean?
– It means achieving market domination and multiple locations, if that’s what they want.
– It means making a lot of money, or doing interesting work, or being able to give back.
– It means time away from the practice to enjoy the rest of life.
– It means the kind of retirement they’ve always dreamed about.
– Or it could mean some combination of those – everybody’s different.
– Done right, dentistry is the perfect profession for achieving success.
– Less than 2 percent of dental practices fail within the first 5 years.
– Compare that with the overall business failure rate of 50 percent in the first 5 years and 70 percent within 10 years.
– So if your practice is feeling like a ball and chain, there’s something wrong with your marketing approach.
– Let’s see what might be happening.
– The first thing to look at is who you’re marketing to.
– If you’re advertising low prices and insurance acceptance, you’re getting people without much discretionary income.
– Those people need dental care, of course, but having too many of them in your new patient stream will take a toll on your bottom line.
– And you’ll need to see a lot more of those patients to make any money.
– That’s the dental treadmill, and it flat wears dentists out, physically and emotionally.
– The second thing to look at is how you value your services.
– Keep in mind that your practice provides a patient experience as well as dental treatment.
– A filling is a filling, but how the patient feels when he or she is in your practice makes a difference.
– Look, dentists today are assumed to be competent.
– The difference between dental practices comes down to the entire patient experience, from first contact to appointment to follow-up.
– Emphasize the patient experience in your marketing, as well as the benefits of choosing you to solve patients’ dental problems.
– You’ll attract better patients instead of the one-and-dones and insurance-driven patients you’re getting now.
– You’ll make more money and enjoy your work more.
– I know that completely revamping your marketing is a big ask.
– It’s time-consuming and finicky work, and a lot of dental practices won’t have the bandwidth to do it.
– SmartBox will do it for you, just like we did for this dentist from California.
– He said, “SmartBox will paint you in a light, which is favorable and which patients can relate to.
– “They’ve done all the research from a marketing perspective, they know what buttons patients press in order to get the results they’re looking for.
– “And with their expertise in the dental marketing business, they will actually guide the patients toward your practice.”
– Visit smartboxdentalmarketing.com and reserve your free, no-obligation Practice Discovery Session™.
– We’ll discuss your goals, your capabilities, and your particular market.
– After the session, you’ll receive your free Patient Attraction Roadmap™ as well.
– With better patients, your practice will start feeling like a joy again instead of a ball and chain.
– Join me for our next podcast.
– Until then, keep moving forward.