Having trouble watching this video? Click here.
Patient Attraction Episode 1206
– Thanks for watching the Patient Attraction Podcast™.
– I’m Colin Receveur, founder and CEO of SmartBox.
– The Alberta Dental Association and College, or ADA&C, takes a dim view of a lot of things that American dentists take for granted.
– In December 2017, the Association sanctioned an Alberta dentist for advertising.
– The one-year suspension and 175 thousand dollar fine was imposed for ethics breaches, primarily in his advertising.
– Now, this story isn’t nearly as straightforward as it might sound.
– You see, the ADA&C is all for advertising, but not if it makes one dentist sound better than another dentist.
– Dentists in Alberta aren’t allowed to tout their experience or even use the word “experienced.”
– Apparently, that would make one dentist sound superior to another.
– It’s okay if a dentist is superior because of a particular technique or piece of equipment.
– But it’s not okay if he or she has decades more experience in, say, implants or cosmetic dentistry.
– The ADA&C isn’t fond of patient testimonials, either, because testimonials “often are emotional; there is a subjective nature to them that is difficult for us to validate or verify.”
– And before-and-after pictures are apparently misleading to dental prospects when used in advertising, but it’s okay to use them in the office with a patient in your chair.
– Coupons are fine, as long as they don’t have expiration dates.
– No, seriously, any coupon by an Alberta dentist has to be good forever.
– The Competition Bureau stated, “A balance must be struck between competition and ensuring Albertans have all the information they need to choose a dentist.”
– From the outside, it looks as if the Competition Bureau is coming down a bit too heavy on dentists.
– Now, I’m not bringing this up to point out how good U.S. dentists have it when it comes to advertising.
– The point is that differentiation is essential to successfully marketing your practice.
– The ADA&C seems to be focused on making all dentists seem the same to patients.
– It always surprises me how many U.S. dentists do the same thing to themselves.
– They advertise the same way as their competition – on price, discounts, coupons, and insurance.
– There’s nothing special about any of that, and that means there’s nothing special about that dentist.
– Market your practice like that, and you’re just another dentist.
– And all dentists are presumed to be competent these days.
– Why on earth would you want to be “just another dentist”?
– And why on earth would you want to get mostly price-shoppers, insurance-driven patients, and one-and-dones?
– Those patients have absolutely no loyalty to your practice, and you’ll spend a chunk of money on marketing to replace them.
– Exercise the freedom you enjoy under our system to stand out from the great mass of dentists.
– Of course, you’ll need to change your marketing approach, but the results are more than worth it.
– SmartBox works with more than 550 dentists on 3 continents to help them get more and better patients.
– Our industry-leading Patient Attraction System™ works to position our dentists as the best and only logical choice for their prospects.
– Dr. Travis Watson of Marietta, Georgia, decided to go for better patients with his marketing.
– He said, “A consistent goal that we have is to continue to have the new patients come in that are high-quality …
– “who are interested in comprehensive dentistry, and really just want something better for themselves and aren’t just what we call single-tooth type situations.
– “They’re more of the fine cases that we enjoy doing, so that’s always going to be a goal for us as we move forward with a company like SmartBox to help us with that.”
– Discover what our Patient Attraction System™ can do for your practice.
– Visit smartboxdentalmarketing.com and reserve your no-cost, no-obligation Practice Discovery Session™.
– After the session, you’ll receive your free Patient Attraction Roadmap™ as well.
– We’ll show you how SmartBox provides a steady stream of new patients so you can focus on doing the dentistry.
– We’ll also show you how to get patients who don’t consider you to be “just another dentist.”
– Join me for our next podcast.
– Until then, keep moving forward.