Is your marketing helping, hurting, or making no difference?
Take our quiz and find out!
Having trouble watching this video? Click here.
Patient Attraction Episode 1076
Dentistry is widely regarded as one of the very best professions in the United States, but I know a lot of dentists who wouldn’t agree with that. Oh, they would have if they’d been asked 5, 10, or even 15 years ago, but not now. Something has changed in the practice of dentistry, and it’s not a change for the better. If you don’t look forward to going to work, stay tuned. I’ll be back after the break to tell you how to get back to doing what you love instead of what you have to do.
– I’m Colin Receveur, CEO of SmartBox.
– Thanks for watching the Patient Attraction Podcast™.
– I know a lot of dentists, and overall they’re a very happy group.
– But I know too many who are seriously thinking about selling their practices.
– When I talk to those unhappy dentists, I find that they have a few things in common.
– One is that they’re not handling enough of the cases they love to do.
– Practically every dentist has a type of case that really gets their motor running.
– Enough of those cases will make up for a lot of routine exams and filling replacements.
– Another thing those dentists have in common is that they’re working more hours and days than they really want to.
– That includes dentists who have been in practice for some years and those who are looking at retirement.
– They’re tired of the 5- or even 6-day-a-week slog, and I can’t say that I blame them.
– That’s a lot of time to spent hunched over open mouths and doing unrewarding work.
– Most of those dentists need their time off just to recover and try to prepare for the next week.
– And many of them can’t manage more than one week of vacation a year, if that.
– That’s not what they had in mind when they got into dentistry.
– The 2 things that unhappy dentists have in common have one thing in common.
– They’re not getting enough of the right kinds of patients.
– What they are getting is an unending stream of low-value, price-driven, insurance-driven patients with no loyalty to their practices.
– So they’re doing unrewarding work too long for not enough in return.
– But when you think about it, that’s not surprising, because those prospects are who they’re marketing to.
– When I say that, most unhappy dentists deny that it’s true.
– But after a few minutes of analyzing the appeal of their marketing, they change their tune.
– They ask me, “Well, what else should I do?”
– There’s an old saying that if you want something other than what you’ve always gotten, you have to do something other than what you’ve always done.
– And those dentists have been chasing dental patients by advertising low prices, specials, and discounts.
– They’ve done nothing to differentiate themselves from all the other dentists who advertise just the way they do.
– They’ve ignored the 20 percent of every market that has the resources and the willingness to pay more for the right dentist.
– They’re getting what they ask for, but not what they want.
– These unhappy dentists won’t get that 20 percent of better patients by being the low-price leader.
– The motivations for that group are very different.
– They’re interested in finding the right dentist – someone they like, trust, and consider to be the dental expert to solve their dental problems.
– If you’re among that group of unhappy dentists, look to your marketing first.
– What are you doing to stand out from the great mass of dentists?
– In today’s competitive dental industry, you have stand out because all dentists are assumed to be competent.
– If you want better patients to choose you, you have to give them reasons to think of you as someone other than “just another dentist.”
– What I’ve just described is the foundation of SmartBox’s industry-leading Patient Attraction System™.
– We’re using it to help more than 550 dentists on 3 continents attract more and better patients.
– And I’m happy to say that those dentists, almost without exception, are finding the joy in dentistry that they may have lost.
– If you’re ready to do something different to get different results, here’s a suggestion.
– Go to PatientAttractionBlueprint.com and schedule a Blueprint call.
– We reserve these calls for serious dentists, the kind who want to see a patient attraction system that can double or even triple their practice.
– And in the process, they can find what they’ve lost: their love of dentistry.
– Join me for our next podcast.
– Until then, keep moving forward.