Is your marketing helping, hurting, or making no difference?
Take our quiz and find out!
Having trouble watching this video? Click here.
Patient Attraction Episode 697
One of the best ways to grow your specialty dental practice as an orthodontist, oral surgeon, implant specialist, or sleep specialist is to market for big cases. The question, though, is, “How much should you spend and how much can you expect in return?” I’ll be back with some thoughts after the break.
– Welcome back.
– I’m Colin Receveur, and this is the Patient Attraction Podcast.
– There’s big money in big cases, and the big cases are people with severe dental needs.
– Those needs include fixed prosthetics on existing teeth, implants, sleep apnea, orthodontic issues, general restorations, and perio.
– At SmartBox Web Marketing, we tell our clients, “Market to the patients you want.”
– Experience shows that when you market to people with one severe dental need, you’ll get calls for everything else.
– So, one thing to consider before you begin marketing to attract big cases is how you’ll deal with the overflow of cases outside your niche.
– If you can comfortably expand the range of services you offer, that’s perfect.
– If not, you should have a tight referral system in place to handle the cases you don’t.
– Now, how much should you invest in marketing to people with severe dental needs?
– That depends in large part on where you’re located and how broad your service area is.
– But let me give a general range: somewhere between $1,500 and $5,500 a month.
– That should result in enough calls to make it worth your while.
– Once your marketing is in place, how many calls should dentists expect?
– Again, that’s a function of your service area’s population and the frequency of your marketing.
– Calls MIGHT range from a low of 40 in more rural areas to at least 60-70 in more urban markets.
– There’s no way to be certain what your particular market will generate, so take these numbers as rough guidelines only.
– Once the phone starts ringing, you want to convert as many prospects as possible to paying patients.
– That’s where phone tracking is invaluable.
– We offer our clients our exclusive SmartBox Zetetics® phone tracking system.
– You’ll know exactly which marketing vehicle elicited each phone call.
– That makes it easy to figure out what’s working and what’s not.
– AND, every phone call is recorded and easily accessible via a database.
– If you’re not getting the conversions you expect, you can listen to the call and see if a staff member might be taking the wrong approach with dental prospects.
– So, to recap: You can expect several things when you market to people with severe dental needs.
– You can expect a lot of calls that don’t fit your niche, so have a referral plan in place.
– You can expect to invest between $1,500 and $5,500 a month.
– Bear in mind that it might take several months to get the kind of response you’re looking for.
– You absolutely must convert as many callers as you can to paying patients.
– To make sure calls are being handled appropriately, you need a really good phone tracking system.
– Do your prep work, have a plan in place, and give your big-case marketing a good chance to reach your audience.
– Tomorrow’s podcast will begin a two-day series on marketing to men of a “certain age.”
– Until tomorrow, keep moving forward.