Is your marketing helping, hurting, or making no difference?
Take our quiz and find out!
Patient Attraction Episode 581: Why Dentists Should Focus on 21st Century Word-of-Mouth Advertising
Almost every dentist I speak to knows the importance of good word-of-mouth advertising. Quality referrals can be a big part of a dental practice’s new patient sales funnel. I recently came across some information that might surprise you on the importance of referrals. Stay tuned.
– Hi, Colin here and welcome to another week of the Patient Attraction Podcast.
– Today, I want to talk to you about the effectiveness of current and former patients’ opinions about your practice and how it affects new prospects.
– I’ve talked recently about how dentists can maximize patient referrals.
– But some data I have recently come across shows that dental patients are influenced by online ratings and reviews just as much as they are by direct recommendations.
– For some of you, that is going to shock you.
– But the survey results I saw said that 74 percent of patients said recommendations influence their choice and 70 percent said ratings and reviews influenced their choice.
– What’s even more impressive?
– That 70 percent was only 53 percent 5 years ago.
– I can only image that some of you find this astonishing.
– You rarely, if ever, go to review sites and you even less often leave online reviews.
– But times have changed.
– It is becoming less and less common for neighbors to talk across the back fence or to sit on each other’s porch, even here in Indiana.
– More people are leaving reviews than ever – 71 million on Yelp alone last year, more than 8 times as many as 5 years ago.
– And it’s not hard to see why.
– Yelp, Google+ and Facebook are right at people’s fingertips as more people go online using their smartphones.
– Right now, some of you are going to try to justify your own indifference to online reviews by saying, “Sure, 70 percent care about reviews, but that doesn’t really matter because not very many people actually CHECK reviews before choosing a dentist.”
– Unfortunately, that’s not what this data shows.
– Nearly half of patients searching for a dentist are consulting reviews.
– You can no longer hide from the fact that ONLINE REVIEWS MATTER TO DENTISTS!
– As you might expect, this doesn’t come as a surprise to me and my team.
– In fact, we saw this trend coming some time ago and started offering products to boost dentists’ online reputation.
– I’ve been telling viewers of this podcast how negative reviews can kill your dental practice and why dentists should care about online reviews for years.
– We make it easy for patients to leave excellent reviews for all of our clients, and we’re rolling out a new product that makes it even easier to remind them to do so.
– If you’re ready to discover what my clients know that you don’t about great online reviews and attracting patients online, you should schedule a Patient Attraction Blueprint Session. They are free to serious dentists who want to see a patient attraction system that can double their practice. For more information, go to smartboxdentalmarketing.com/blueprint.
– Come back tomorrow when we will talk about how solving your prospects’ fear of pain can mean a lot of gain for your office.
– Until then, keep moving forward.