Having trouble watching this video? Click here.
Patient Attraction Episode 904
This could be the start of a trend that will leave you facing more competition than ever before. When we come back, I’ll tell you why new dental schools may begin popping up where you least expect them. Stay tuned.
– Welcome to the Patient Attraction Podcast™.
– I’m Colin Receveur.
– According to the federal government, there were about 4900 Dental Health Professional Shortage Areas in the U.S. as of 2014.
– And the government estimated that it would take about 7300 more dentists to remedy that shortage.
– Recently, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center El Paso announced that it will open Texas’s fourth dental school in 2020.
– Because the area is a dental health professional shortage area and they’re trying to remedy the problem.
– Now, they’re only looking at an initial class of 25 dental students, so by itself, that’s not earthshaking news.
– But if enough other dental schools pop up to help meet that shortage, that’s a game changer.
– Forty new dental schools, even with small classes like Texas Tech’s, would mean 1,000 new dentists every year.
– That’s a lot of fuel for the corporate dental machine, because those new graduates will have substantial debt.
– Texas Tech hopes to retain those new dentists in its underserved areas.
– I think that’s naive – new graduates will almost always go where their prospects are brightest, and that may not be West Texas.
– Now, pop-up dental schools may not happen, or may happen to a lesser extent, so I don’t want to oversell the issue.
– But the fact is more competition is inevitable, which is why it’s important to not do what everyone else is doing.
– You need to become more than just another dentist in your prospects’ eyes.
– You need to become the only logical choice to solve their problems.
– And you won’t do that by offering coupons, specials, and free exams.
– To attract the patients who will help you grow your practice, and help insulate you from competition, you need a patient attraction system.
– Dr. Justin Leath in Rochester, Michigan, reached out to SmartBox to remain competitive.
– “We’re in such a competitive market here that it’s hard for us to maintain steady new patient flow without having online presence, and that’s where SmartBox came in.
– “I jumped online, did some research, got to the website, and realized that there were other dentists involved with SmartBox that got tremendous results.”
– For more information on attracting the patients YOU want, go to smartboxdentalmarketing.com.
– Until our next podcast, keep moving forward.