Having trouble watching this video? Click here.
Patient Attraction Episode 908
Physicians can be an excellent referral source of new patients, if you have solid relationships with them. Far too many dentists ignore the non-dental side of health care and lose out on the opportunities that referrals bring. After the break, I’ll tell why creating a physician-dentist referral system can benefit more patients and your bottom line.
– Welcome the Patient Attraction Podcast™.
– I’m Colin Receveur.
– A study this year found that physicians were unhappy with the referral system, or lack of one, to dentists.
– Among the physicians surveyed, the chief concerns were not being able to distinguish a suspicious oral lesion from a normal one.
– In fact, a third of physicians referred for soft tissue lesion identification, and salivary gland and facial bone tumors.
– Obviously, the majority of referrals were for dental pain and/or routine care.
– But in addition to lesions and tumors, physicians also referred for oral complications of cancer and diabetes, pre-chemotherapy dental evaluation, and other reasons.
– Taken as a whole, physician referrals can be very profitable for dentists, but only if there’s a defined system in place.
– It most areas, it’s up to you to create that system by reaching out to physicians and establishing a trust relationship.
– Depending on your area, that may mean approaching a hospital system or simply arranging a series of one-on-one meetings with physicians.
– Referrals go both ways, and you should clarify whether you can refer your patients if they don’t already have a physician.
– You should also clarify the reporting mechanism between you to share your findings and recommendations.
– Once you’ve established a referral system, you may find that the physician office staff become an unofficial word-of-mouth referral system as well.
– Without an established referral system, you run the risk of losing patients that you don’t have to spend a dime marketing to.
– Referral systems are great, but they’re not the only way to build your practice.
– Are you ready to fast-track your success? Are you ready for more patients, more profits, and more freedom?
– If so, go to smartboxdentalmarketing.com/application.
– Until next time, keep moving forward.