Having trouble watching this video? Click here.
Patient Attraction Episode 1193
Dentistry is routinely listed as one of the 2 best professions in the U.S. That’s based on working conditions, work-life balance, compensation, and other factors. But more and more these days, I hear from dentists who are working too hard for too long for too little. I hear from dentists who are questioning their decision to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars and 4 years of their lives in dental school. When we come back, I’ll lay out the case for why you should quit dentistry, unless you make some changes.
– Thanks for watching Patient Attraction Podcast™ number 1193.
– I’m Colin Receveur, CEO of SmartBox.
– Let’s face it, nobody can work at 100 percent capacity forever.
– But there are way too many dentists out there who are doing just that.
– They’re running between rooms trying to keep up with a ridiculous schedule.
– They start work exhausted, they end work exhausted, and they’re exhausted in between.
– And the worst thing is that they’re not making all that much money per case.
– Their chairs are filled with low case value patients.
– They see patients who are very price-conscious and want only the dentistry that insurance will pretty much cover.
– Those dentists do an unending stream of routine exams, drill-and-fills, and the occasional crown.
– It’s hard work, it’s hard on the neck and back, and it’s no fun.
– In fact, it’s boring.
– So if this describes your days, it wouldn’t surprise me if you asked yourself more than once, “What the hell am I doing?”
– Who decided that dentistry is supposed to be a high-volume business?
– And yet, that’s what it has become, and dentists are paying the price.
– Let me ask you something, and this is important.
– Do you really think that things are going to change?
– If you’re not doing anything to change how you’re working, you’re going to keep on working that way … until your neck, your back, or your patience gives out.
– Before any of that happens, you have to make sure that you, your family, and the people who work for you are okay.
– You might think that selling your practice will make everything all right.
– Sorry to tell you this, but the days of practices selling for multiples of earnings are over.
– Dentists today are lucky to get 70 percent when they sell.
– If you’re pulling in $1.2 million a year, you can expect to get 840 thousand at best … before taxes.
– That’s not going to give you a life of comfort and ease.
– Dentistry is too good a profession to be this bad, and it doesn’t have to be.
– There’s a way you can save your neck, your back, your sanity, and your practice.
– You can put the fun and even joy back into dentistry.
– And you can work less, earn more, and enjoy life again.
– You can increase the value of your practice so that you can live the good life when you do sell.
– Get started toward your better life.
– Visit smartboxdentalmarketing.com and reserve your no-cost, no-obligation Practice Discovery Session™.
– We’ll create a strategic plan to get you off the dental treadmill and enjoying dentistry again.
– After the session, you’ll receive your free Patient Attraction Roadmap™ as well.
– It’s yours to use any way you wish.
– There’s no obligation of any kind.
– Get the Roadmap that will lead you to the life you always envisioned as a dentist.
– And now for something completely different.
– I don’t think I’ve ever introduced a podcast by number before.
– The number itself isn’t important except as a marker for how many of these we’ve produced – nearly 1200, and that just blows my mind.
– I feel like the Iron Man of podcasts, just like Cal Ripken was the Iron Man of baseball.
– OK, maybe not.
– I’m telling you this because SmartBox’s podcast series is ending.
– We’ve decided that it’s time to move on to a format that’s more responsive to how busy dentists live their lives these days.
– That’s your heads-up for this podcast, and I’ll tell you more in our next, last podcast.
– So, join me for our FINAL podcast, won’t you?
– Until then, keep moving forward.