Having trouble watching this video? Click here.
Patient Attraction Episode 1128
There’s no doubt that the science of dentistry advances relentlessly. Most of the time, those advances are better ways of doing something that dentists have always done – oral scanners, panoramic X-rays, better dental drills, laser gum treatment. But there’s news out of the University of Alabama at Birmingham that may spell the end of several significant revenue streams for most dentists. After the break, I’ll tell you how to safeguard your practice against the advances of dentistry. Stay tuned.
– Thanks for watching the Patient Attraction Podcast™.
– I’m Colin Receveur.
– Drill-and-fill dentists should take note of an announcement from researchers at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.
– In animal studies, those researchers demonstrated how a molecule they created can block the ability of Streptococcus mutans to form biofilms on teeth.
– The molecule is completely selective in its action.
– It’s very easy to synthesize.
– It’s easy to apply.
– That is a potentially huge development for dentists.
– Think about it: no biofilm, no dental plaque.
– No dental plaque, no calculus.
– No calculus, no dental caries.
– If the results from animal studies prove out in human trials, you’re potentially looking at the end of a huge amount of drill-and-fill cases.
– But that’s not all.
– You could be looking at less need for your dental hygiene department services.
– You could be facing a sharp decrease in the occurrence of gingivitis and periodontitis.
– You might be looking at fewer endodontic procedures.
– And the list of potential impacts goes on and on – cosmetic dentistry, prosthodontics, dental implants, oral surgery.
– To be fair, there’s still a long way to go before this new molecule is approved for clinical use.
– So it’s not like you need to man the lifeboats right now.
– You’ll still be drilling and filling for quite a while.
– But this news should get you thinking about what you can do to position your practice for success in the face of prevention breakthroughs.
– Because now that these researchers have demonstrated proof of concept, it’s only a matter of time before a similar agent is approved.
– And the application of a biofilm inhibitor may not require your services.
– Who’s to say that the molecule couldn’t eventually be added to toothpaste?
– If it’s not this breakthrough that changes dentistry as you know it, it’ll be something else.
– Again, it’s only a matter of time.
– As a place to start, think about what your practice would look like if you did a lot less drill-and-fill.
– How much more rewarding would it be – emotionally and financially – to do more of the cases you love to do?
– You don’t have to wait for science before you decide to target the dental prospects you want.
– And you don’t have to wait to begin increasing your collections.
– SmartBox works with more than 550 dentists on 3 continents to help them get more and better patients.
– Our industry-leading Patient Attraction System™ can double or even triple your practice.
– The first step is to visit smartboxdentalmarketing.com and reserve your no-cost, no-obligation Practice Discovery Session™.
– The end of dental caries may be coming, but it doesn’t have to sweep your practice away.
– Join me for our next podcast.
– Until then, keep moving forward.