Is your marketing helping, hurting, or making no difference?
Take our quiz and find out!
Hello everyone, Colin here on March 14, 2014. There’s another latest/greatest trend in marketing, and I’m going to tell you whether or not to believe the hype. Stay tuned.
– Did you know that pay-per-click advertising can be targeted exclusively to people who have visited your website? These are people who have already demonstrated an interest in your products and services.
– Most first-time visitors to a website leave without setting an appointment. One visit to your website is usually not enough to close the deal.
– A PPC retargeting campaign lets you segment your audience of past site visitors and deliver relevant ads for your search and display campaigns based on the actions people have taken on your site.
– This seems like it would be a really good deal:
– These are people who have already demonstrated an interest in your products and services.
– This keeps your name in front of them.
– But my verdict is: Don’t believe the hype.
– First, you’d better have a dynamic PPC ad campaign to get notices among the myriad other ads people are flooded with.a
– Second, online ads are notoriously unreliable.
– An “average” display ad campaign will generally get a click-through rate of .05%-0.1%. That’s right, for every 1,000 times an ad pops up, someone clicks it once.
– Retargeting is far more successful – twice as successful on average at about 0.2%. That is still only 2 clicks for every 1,000 impressions.
– Those numbers are hardly overwhelming.
I hope you’re all enjoying the beginning of March Madness. Here in basketball country, the NCAA tournament is on everyone’s mind. I hope your favorite team or alma mater gets a good seed on Sunday.
Until next week, keep moving forward.