Is your marketing helping, hurting, or making no difference?
Take our quiz and find out!
Hey everybody, Colin with SmartBox Web Marketing here and I’m going to tell you three things that almost every dentist we talk to want to highlight about their practice – and why the survey results we’ve been analyzing say they shouldn’t. Stay tuned.
Today is March 6, 2014, and this is our fourth day of looking at a survey of 300 30-65-year-old affluent Californians. About 60 percent are baby boomers and the other 40 percent or so are younger and interested in improving their looks, including teeth. I don’t think I’ve mentioned that these results have a statistical accuracy of plus or minus 2 percent, which is very good in the survey world.
– Today we’re going to talk about three things dentists love to promote:
– Teeth in a day
– Gentle dentistry
– Being highly trained
– First teeth in a day
– Only 16% said they never heard of it
– From those who have heard of it:
36% DON’T NEED IT
16% FOR PEOPLE WHO NEED IMPLANTS, STRAIGHTENING/IF IN BAD SHAPE
12% ALREADY DONE, ALREADY GETTING IT DONE
8% IF YOU HAVE TO GET BACK TO WORK FAST
8% THERE IS A LOT OF CRAP BEING ADVERTISED/ I DON’T BELIEVE ANY OF THIS TYPE OF ADVERTISEMENT
– So while it is good that most people have heard of it, the majority are disinterested
– If you’re going to promote it, target people who know their teeth are in bad shape or who work in the area and want to get back to work and need something done quickly.
– Next, do pain-free shots and techniques interest you:
32% DENTIST ALREADY IS PAIN FREE
20% YES: DENTIST IS VERY GENTLE
16% NO: NOT A BIG THING ANYMORE
16% I NEVER NEED SHOTS
8% DENTIST USES TOPICALS:
– Again, people are not overwhelmingly concerned about this. This is not a point of differentiation as the majority either have a “gentle” dentist or aren’t concerned about painful dentistry.
– Finally, I always tout that dentists should address their patients’ needs, not what the dentist brings to the table. However, many dentists still like to market their expertise and training.
– Here is what our survey said about what advantage could it be have a specialist highly trained, over a general dentist, that can help you:
40% CONVENIENT, ONLY IF I NEED A LOT OF WORK DONE:
36% NO NEED/ NOTHING MY DENTIST CAN’T DELIVER
12% ALREADY HAVE THIS SPECIALIST
12% THAT’S ALL THEY DO/ DO IT BETTER
– So only 24 percent see the value of a specialist.
– Tomorrow we’ll wrap up the series with points that did resonate with survey respondents. Until then, keep moving forward.