Is your marketing helping, hurting, or making no difference?
Take our quiz and find out!
Patient Attraction Episode 509
Did you watch the last three podcasts about online dental reviews? I hope so because they are not going away. Yelp is one of the biggest sources of online reviews, and it has been the topic of regular discussion here on the Patient Attraction Podcast. Today, I’m going to give you some information that might put Yelp on its heels. Stay tuned.
– This time last year, I did a series of podcasts about the top 10 reasons dental patients complain on Yelp.
– That led to another podcast about an email I got from a dentist complaining about Yelp’s manipulation of reviews, and a follow-up podcast about a court ruling that says Yelp is ALLOWED to manipulate its reviews.
– You can find all of those podcasts about how Yelp affects dentists on our website.
– There is a new development in the saga that is Yelp.
– Billion Dollar Bully, “a documentary on marketing giant Yelp and their $3.6 billion racket against small business owners,” reached its Kickstarter funding goal earlier this year.
– This should certainly please Dr. Marks, the dentist who wrote me complaining about Yelp.
– Small business owners have complained for years and even gone to court to claim that Yelp removes positive reviews and/or emphasizes negative reviews unless a company agrees to advertise on the site.
– The U.S. Court of Appeals rejected that argument and the Federal Trade Commission investigated Yelp without bringing charges against the company.
– My suggestion has been that dentists need to make sure that they have so many positive reviews that they drown out any negative reviews.
– And there will be negative dental reviews if you have a practice of any size.
– That is why we offer dentists “Review Booster” packs to help increase their positive numbers of reviews.
– You can find them on our website under Services, 5-Star Google Reviews.
– Online reviews are the new word-of-mouth advertising in the 21st century.
– According to the Boston Consulting Group, 90% of locals said positive ratings influence their decision to visit or buy from a business, and 72% said they trust online reviews as much as recommendations from their friends and family.
– 78% of online Americans aged 18-64 agree that online reviews help them decide whether to purchase a product.
– Whether this documentary film exposes some great evil at Yelp or is nothing more than a mosquito to the elephant, online reviews are not going away.
– To read more about the film or to see the trailer, visit the producer’s website at www.prostfilms.com.
– What do you think?
– Have you ever felt like Yelp manipulated your reviews?
– Or do you think your reviews fairly represent your patients’ views?
– Leave me a message on Facebook or LinkedIn, or email me at [email protected].
– Until tomorrow, keep moving forward.