Having trouble watching this video? Click here.
Patient Attraction Episode 1201
– Thanks for watching the Patient Attraction Podcast™.
– I’m Colin Receveur.
– Drill-and-fill dentists should take note of an announcement from researchers at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.
– In animal studies, those researchers demonstrated how a molecule they created can block the ability of Streptococcus mutans to form biofilms on teeth.
– The molecule is completely selective in its action.
– It’s very easy to synthesize.
– It’s easy to apply.
– That is a potentially huge development for dentists.
– Think about it: no biofilm, no dental plaque.
– No dental plaque, no calculus.
– No calculus, no dental caries.
– If the results from animal studies prove out in human trials, you’re potentially looking at the end of a huge amount of drill-and-fill cases.
– But that’s not all.
– You could be looking at less need for your dental hygiene department services.
– You could be facing a sharp decrease in the occurrence of gingivitis and periodontitis.
– You might be looking at fewer endodontic procedures.
– And the list of potential impacts goes on and on – cosmetic dentistry, prosthodontics, dental implants, oral surgery.
– To be fair, there’s still a long way to go before this new molecule is approved for clinical use.
– So it’s not like you need to man the lifeboats right now.
– You’ll still be drilling and filling for quite a while.
– But this news should get you thinking about what you can do to position your practice for success in the face of prevention breakthroughs.
– Because now that these researchers have demonstrated proof of concept, it’s only a matter of time before a similar agent is approved.
– And the application of a biofilm inhibitor may not require your services.
– Who’s to say that the molecule couldn’t eventually be added to toothpaste?
– If it’s not this breakthrough that changes dentistry as you know it, it’ll be something else.
– Again, it’s only a matter of time.
– As a place to start, think about what your practice would look like if you did a lot less drill-and-fill.
– How much more rewarding would it be – emotionally and financially – to do more of the cases you love to do?
– You don’t have to wait for science before you decide to target the dental prospects you want.
– And you don’t have to wait to begin increasing your collections.
– SmartBox works with more than 550 dentists on 3 continents to help them get more and better patients.
– Our industry-leading Patient Attraction System™ can double or even triple your practice.
– The first step is to visit smartboxdentalmarketing.com and reserve your no-cost, no-obligation Practice Discovery Session™.
– The end of dental caries may be coming, but it doesn’t have to sweep your practice away.
– Join me for our next podcast.
– Until then, keep moving forward.