Patient Attraction Episode 393
Hi, Colin here, and today and tomorrow I want to answer a question we get regularly from our prospects: should my marketing focus on pay-per-click (PPC) advertising or search engine optimization? I’ll address the pros and cons of each when we return.
– SEO and PPC are two terms most dentists are familiar with.
– If you have done any kind of marketing, you have likely used at least one and maybe both.
– In case you’re not familiar, here is what we mean by each:
– SEO is about trying to draw the kind of patients you want by incorporating the search terms they use into your website. This way your site ranks high on search engine results pages.
– We’ll often refer to these as organic results, meaning they happen naturally.
– PPC advertising is when dentists pay, using a formula, for advertising on a search engine site.
– As they name indicates, you pay for every time someone clicks your ad.
– In recent years, Google specifically has moved to make its PPC results look more like organic results.
– So what are the strengths and weaknesses of each?
– Let’s start with PPC, which sometimes is called paid search or search engine marketing (SEM).
– You have better control over who sees your ad.
– You decide which words launch your ad, where the link from the ad goes and what the ad says.
– Ads are unaffected by Google’s never-ceasing updates and tweaks.
– You ads will appear along with your organic results on a search engine results page, which looks really awesome to a potential patient.
– Best of all, your ads will start running as soon as you launch them.
– That means you could start seeing activity immediately.
– So what are the weaknesses of PPC?
– To be effective, you need to do quite a bit of research and testing.
– You need to research effective keywords, and split testing is a good idea once you start the campaign.
– Even after doing that research and testing, you are not done.
– Another weakness of PPC is that you must regularly tweak and change the campaign so that it works the best it can.
– Finally, PPC can get rather expensive.
– In larger markets, clicks for top keywords can easily cost dollars per click.
– It won’t take very long to eat up a monthly budget at that rate.
– Come back tomorrow and we’ll look at the strengths and weaknesses of SEO.
– Until then, keep moving forward.