Patient Attraction Episode 328
“Momma always told me life was like a box of chocolates.” If you don’t know that saying and where it comes from, you can turn off this podcast now because the rest won’t make any sense. But if you know the famous movie character who said that, stay tuned.
– Welcome back to the Patient Attraction Podcast.
– Today I want to give you some advice on how you can insert yourself into local, national and even international news stories.
– One of the most frequent questions our clients ask is, “What should I use as a press release?”
– There are some obvious answers:
-When you hire a new staff member.
-When you get new equipment.
-When you have an unusual case.
-When you do charity work or participate in a charitable event.
-When you receive additional training or begin offering a new service.
– But there is one that too many dentists are overlooking, and it is probably one that will have the greatest effect: giving your expertise on an existing news story.
– This is where being like Forrest Gump, the source of our opening quote, come in.
– If you remember the movie, the special effects team had Tom Hanks, who played Forrest Gump, interact with numerous celebrities as if he had really been there:
– John Lennon
– Richard Nixon
– It’s really a clever part of the movie.
– One of these days I’m going to get Alex, our director of visual storytelling, to insert me into “As Good As It Gets,” my favorite movie.
– You can do the same thing with press releases.
– Last month, golfer Tiger Woods was photographed missing a tooth.
– How many of you took advantage of that opportunity to issue a press release to your local media saying that you offer emergency dentistry, or bridges or implants for missing teeth?
– It was very topical, as Tiger Woods is still HUGE news.
– A simple summary about Woods and then inserting some paragraphs about how you can replace a tooth or offering what to do if you damage a tooth would have made for good copy.
– You might even have gotten the release picked up by your local media.
– THAT would have been a windfall for your publicity and your SEO value.
– Some of you might be thinking, “That’s kind of a cheesy way to get your name out there,” or even think, “That’s stupid. I’m not doing that.”
– But it works.
– And in the immortal words of Forrest Gump, “Stupid is as stupid does.”
– Until tomorrow, keep moving forward.