Is your marketing helping, hurting, or making no difference?
Take our quiz and find out!
Patient Attraction Episode 175
Hi, I’m Colin Receveur and today we’re going to look at why Google ads may become a more important part of your online marketing strategy. Stay tuned.
– Today is Tuesday, July 22, and we are going to look at a change Google made earlier this year that could have a big effect on your online marketing.
– You may have noticed back in March, Google changed how it placed ads on its pages.
– Instead of having one Ad label and a shaded background behind the ad links, each paid link now has a little yellow ad box.
– Is this much of a change from the previous design?
– You might not think so, but research is telling us different.
– Traditionally, research has shown that 70-80 percent of search engine users ignore the paid ads, which are placed at the top of the search results BEFORE the organic results.
– The further down the page you go, the less likely someone is to click the link in a Google search, and almost no one goes past the first page.
– That is why it is so important to not only be on the first page of a Google search, but to dominate the results.
– New testing by a user experience firm called Bunnyfoot showed that 36 percent of people couldn’t tell the difference between ads in the new design and organic results.
– Just to be clear: Bunnyfoot used a fairly small sample size of about 100 people of varying degrees of Internet savvy.
– But the implications here are clear: Google’s new design has significantly increased the likelihood that users will click on a paid like rather than an organic one.
– Now, before you go crazy and dump your SEO budget in favor of Google Adwords, let me give you a word of caution.
– Some of you may have seen the news that Google, Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo and AOL have joined together to launch a group called TrustInAds.org.
– These Internet companies are trying to find ways to stamp out ads that trick people into buying bogus products, or going to websites that infect user’s computers with malware.
– So, all of these companies that are competing for big advertising dollars and users’ attention have come together under a common banner to fight bad ads.
– As long as there are black-hat guys out there using ads to spoof, steal and infect, users are going to have a natural concern about clicking on ad links.
– So for now, we are recommending to our clients that they continue to focus on providing great web content to boost their local search ranking.
– We’ll talk more about SEO in an upcoming podcast.
– To learn even more about using SEO to attract the patients you want, you should get my book, “Attract More Patients in the Next Six Months Than in the Last Six Years.” The book is the culmination of all my marketing expertise, and it can be yours for only the $4.97 cost of shipping at www.MoreAndBetterPatients.com.
– If you’re ready to discover what my clients know about attracting patients online that you don’t know, you should schedule a Patient Attraction Blueprint Session. They are free to serious dentists who want to see a patient attraction system that can double their practice. For more information, go to smartboxdentalmarketing.com/blueprint.
– Until then, keep moving forward.