Having trouble watching this video? Click here.
Patient Attraction Episode 777
The old saying that you can’t please everybody is true, and that includes your dental patients. After the break, I’ll be back to share 5 must-do tips for dealing with your less than satisfied patients. Stay tuned.
– I’m Colin Receveur, Founder and CEO of SmartBox Web Marketing.
– This is the Patient Attraction Podcast.
– My dad’s a very successful dentist.
– I pretty much grew up in his practice.
– So, I’ve seen and heard patients who were less than happy.
– Happy, satisfied patients are every dentist’s goal.
– But sometimes things go wrong and that can be because patients aren’t properly informed.
– You’ll have some unhappy patients for a variety of reasons.
– I want to share 5 tips for dealing with dissatisfied dental patients.
– Number 1: Don’t take it personally.
– Quite often the complaint is less about you or your staff than about the person who’s complaining.
– Getting defensive is sure to escalate matters.
– Number 2: Let them vent.
– That head of steam has to blow off before an angry patient will be willing to talk.
– You’ll know when to join the conversation.
– Number 3: Make sure you understand the issue.
– Too many people jumping in too fast actually makes things worse.
– Take the time to repeat back, in your own words, what the complaint is.
– You’ll avoid further misunderstanding that way.
– Number 4: Take immediate action.
– There’s almost always something you can do to make the patient happy, or at least happier.
– That something will depend on your practice’s policies.
– Number 5: Avoid the problem going forward.
– If the complaint was caused by your system, fix your system.
– That could mean giving patients more accurate information, changing your billing policies, or something else.
– You can’t please everybody, and there are some patients you can’t please at all.
– Send them cheerfully on their way to your competitors.
– Follow these 5 tips to keep your patients and keep them happy.
– Until next time, keep moving forward.