Is your marketing helping, hurting, or making no difference?
Take our quiz and find out!
Having trouble watching this video? Click here.
Patient Attraction Episode 999
Delta Dental is already one of the 800-pound gorillas of dental insurance. Now, it looks as if that gorilla has decided to sit on Massachusetts. This may be a one-off occurrence, or it could signify a trend nationwide. I’ll be back after the break to tell you more. Stay tuned.
– Thanks for watching the Patient Attraction Podcast™.
– I’m Colin Receveur.
– Delta Dental, in its many state subsidiaries, has a commanding share of the dental insurance market.
– In Massachusetts, Delta has an estimated 30 to 40 percent market share and is the single largest dental insurer in the state.
– And Delta is implementing a change in Massachusetts that has many dentists scratching their heads.
– Delta is moving its insureds to a PPO plan that is cheaper for employers and patients.
– And that sharply cuts reimbursement rates for dentists.
– In fact, reimbursements are dropping from 82 percent to 58 percent.
– That’s a bite many dentists can’t swallow, but many of those same dentists can’t afford to lose a large part of their patient base, either.
– Dentistry is certainly no stranger to being squeezed on reimbursement rates, but this level of reduction is worrying for several reasons.
– First, Massachusetts may be a trial balloon for Delta’s PPO move and for the decreased reimbursements.
– That’s speculation, but it’s worth considering.
– Second, if Delta succeeds without major pushback in Massachusetts, other dental insurers may follow suit in various states.
– And third, too many dentists are still marketing to insurance patients, and they’re liable to get hurt in the pocketbook.
– Again, this is speculation, but it points out how dentists are vulnerable.
– Having too large a share of your patient base motivated by insurance can be dangerous to your growth and success.
– That’s not to say that you should never take insurance patients – that’s just not realistic for most dentists.
– But there’s a way you can regain control of your financial future.
– It’s what Dr. Lucas Perrigo of Birmingham, Alabama, did, and he’s glad about his decision to become a SmartBox dentist.
– Here’s what he told us.
– “Since we’ve been using SmartBox Marketing, we’ve had great success.
– “We’re up to averaging 80-100 leads a month; last month was 160 — which is a great response.
– “The amount of traffic, the bigger cases, the implant cases that we’re getting are 90 percent driven from the website.”
– More and better dental patients.
– If that’s what you want, go to smartboxdentalmarketing.com/blueprint and schedule a Patient Attraction System Blueprint™ Session. They are reserved for serious dentists who want to see a patient attraction system that can double their practice. You can get more patients, more profits, and more freedom.
– And you can make your financial future more predictable, regardless of what Delta Dental and other insurers decide to do.
– Join me for our next podcast.
– Until tomorrow, keep moving forward.