Dentists Shouldn’t Try to Wrestle the 800-Pound Gorilla
Having trouble watching this video? Click here.
Patient Attraction Episode 1062
You know the old joke: Where does an 800-pound gorilla sit? Anywhere he wants. When it comes to the heavyweights of the dental industry, corporate chains are at the top of the food chain. And just like it’s a terrible idea to try to wrestle a gorilla, dentists shouldn’t take on corporate dental offices on even terms. When we come back, I’ll tell you how to change the battlefield to one that corporate chains can’t compete on. Stay tuned.
– I’m Colin Receveur, founder and CEO of SmartBox Web Marketing.
– Thanks for tuning in to this episode of the Patient Attraction Podcast™.
– Did you know that Aspen Dental has more than 600 offices in the United States right now?
– Did you know that those offices service at least 15,000 patients a day?
– That patient figure was taken directly from a 2016 interview with Aspen’s CEO, Bob Fontana.
– It’s worth noting that during that same interview, Fontana said that his company had over 550 offices.
– That’s roughly 9 percent growth in about a year.
– There’s no doubt that Aspen is one of the heavyweights of dentistry.
– The sheer size of the organization gives it huge financial reserves and economies of scale that you can’t hope to match.
– Aspen has had problems in the past, but lately, the company’s management seems to have gotten its act together.
– They pose a serious threat to the long-term survival of your practice going forward.
– You might already have corporate dental offices in your market.
– If so, you know how hard it is to match them on price.
– It’s those economies of scale at work.
– If you don’t have corporate dentistry in your market, you’re still not safe.
– You might think that your market is too small for corporate to take notice.
– You’d be wrong.
– If there’s money to be made in your market, corporate dentistry will be there sooner or later, if they’re not already.
– While Aspen gets most of the press, and the blame, it’s only one dental chain among many.
– There’s no telling which chain will take a new interest in the area where you make your living.
– And you know those new dental school graduates?
– It may be some of them opening new corporate offices in your market.
– Others may open new private practices.
– What’s that going to do for your bottom line?
– If you try to take on corporate dentistry on their terms – price and availability – you’ll lose.
– You’re trying to wrestle the 800-pound gorilla, and you’ll lose.
– It’s not necessary to try to match corporate dentistry’s strengths.
– You can, and should, market to the prospects who aren’t moved by price and availability.
– Corporate dental chains are weak when it comes to establishing trust and relationships with dental patients.
– And 20 percent of patients in almost any market are willing to pay more for a dentist they like, trust, and relate to.
– They’re not interested in discounts or coupons, or in seeing a different dentist every time they go in.
– Those are weaknesses you can capitalize on so that you’re not trying to fight the dental chains where they’re strongest.
– To attract those better dental prospects, you have to differentiate yourself from the great mass of dentists.
– Consumers today assume that all dentists are competent, so one is just about as good as another.
– You have to break out of that mold by establishing yourself as a trustworthy, relatable dental expert.
– Be warned – it takes a great deal of time and effort to change people’s perceptions of you.
– You won’t accomplish that through the occasional postcard campaign, email, or radio ads.
– And a dental website that talks about the dentist rather than solutions to patients’ needs and concerns won’t do it either.
– Getting better new patients requires you to adopt a different mindset toward marketing than you’re probably used to.
– In a nutshell, that’s the basis for our industry-leading Patient Attraction System™.
– SmartBox is helping more than 550 dentists on 3 continents get more patients, more profits, and more freedom.
– If you’d like to see what a Patient Attraction System™ can do for you, go to www.PatientAttractionBlueprint.com.
– We offer Patient Attraction System Blueprint™ Sessions to serious dentists.
– And by serious, I mean the kind of dentists who want to see a patient attraction system that can double or even triple their practice.
– That’s what Dr. Katie Post of Rochester, Minnesota, did, and here’s what she had to say about the results.
“SmartBox has been very instrumental in the growth of our practice going from 250 to 300 to 350 new patients per month,
– “contributing ideas to us on marketing techniques,
– “helping us evaluate the effectiveness of how much money I’m spending,”
– “and where I should effectively spend that to make it the most effective.”
– Stop trying to wrestle 800-pound gorillas.
– Visit www.PatientAttractionBlueprint.com today.
– Join me for our next podcast.
– Until then, keep moving forward.