Having trouble watching this video? Click here.
Patient Attraction Episode 850
Bob Dylan sang, “The times they are a-changin’.” That’s certainly true for dentistry. After the break, I’ll be back to tell you about an important development you may not have heard about … but that you definitely need to know. Stay tuned.
Thanks for tuning in to the Patient Attraction Podcast.™
– I’m Colin Receveur.
– On June 20, Vermont governor Peter Shumlin signed a bill that allows mid-level providers, or dental therapists, to practice in his state.
– Vermont is the sixth state to enact this sort of legislation.
– If you’re not familiar with dental therapists, think of them like physician’s assistants or nurse practitioners.
– Compared to anyone else in your one-dentist practice, dental therapists have a greatly expanded scope of practice.
– They can do a lot of the things that you do, under a licensed dentist’s supervision.
– Why is this important to you?
– First, this type of legislation has been enacted in spite of fierce opposition from state dental associations.
– And the dental therapist movement appears to be gaining momentum.
– And the laws may soon be coming to your state.
– The laws are coming for you and your practice.
– You might think this is overblown.
– After all, nurse practitioners haven’t put physicians out of business.
– But the fact is that there are fewer and fewer private general medical practices.
– Far more physicians are working for hospital organizations.
– In the case of dentists, the equivalent to hospital organizations is corporate dentistry.
– Second, corporate can hire dental therapists for far less money than they can dentists.
– Which means they can see more patients … your patients.
– And they can price-war you into the ground – unless you adapt your marketing approach to attract the patients who aren’t interested in low prices.
– Those are the patients looking for a dental expert they can trust.
– If you don’t do that, you may find yourself out of business.
– And depending on how long it takes for dental therapists to come to your state, that could be as little as 5 years.
– You can also change the rules of the game.
– Go to smartboxdentalmarketing.com/blueprint and schedule a Patient Attraction Blueprint™ session. They are free to serious dentists who want to see a patient attraction system that can double their practice. You can get more patients, more profits, and more freedom.
– Tune in to our next podcast.
– Until then, keep moving forward.