Is your marketing helping, hurting, or making no difference?
Take our quiz and find out!
Having trouble watching this video? Click here.
Patient Attraction Episode 767
Dental patients may reject your case solutions because they’ve already told themselves a story about the outcome. You can use storytelling of your own to change their expectations and gain better case acceptance. I’ll tell you how after the break. Stay tuned.
– Welcome to the Patient Attraction Podcast.
– I’m Colin Receveur.
– Dentists are trained to assess problems, devise solutions, and present facts.
– An article appeared last year in the Journal of Applied Research in Memory and Cognition.
– The article proposed that providing information is a lot like storytelling.
– And that has implications for your case acceptance rate.
– When it comes to providing information to help patients make a decision, taking a storytelling approach is effective.
– This is especially true when the outcome isn’t certain.
– When telling a story, there are three things to keep in mind.
– Know what you want to say.
– Know who you’re talking to.
– Match the way you present the information to the person.
– If you have a genuine example of another patient with a similar issue, that could be a good approach.
– It’s even better if that patient shares other characteristics with the patient you’re presenting to.
– The authors noted that different descriptions of a situation or problem lead people to draw different conclusions.
– Tailor your story to the conclusion you want your patient to reach.
– There are limits to how much information people can take in at one time.
– So pacing your story is important.
– And you have to guide your patient’s attention if he or she gets sidetracked or distracted.
– The storytelling approach may not be right for all your patients.
– But keep it in mind the next time you have a tough sell.
– Join me for tomorrow’s podcast.
– Until tomorrow, keep moving forward.