Having trouble watching this video? Click here.
Patient Attraction Episode 767
Dental patients may reject your case solutions because they’ve already told themselves a story about the outcome. You can use storytelling of your own to change their expectations and gain better case acceptance. I’ll tell you how after the break. Stay tuned.
– Welcome to the Patient Attraction Podcast.
– I’m Colin Receveur.
– Dentists are trained to assess problems, devise solutions, and present facts.
– An article appeared last year in the Journal of Applied Research in Memory and Cognition.
– The article proposed that providing information is a lot like storytelling.
– And that has implications for your case acceptance rate.
– When it comes to providing information to help patients make a decision, taking a storytelling approach is effective.
– This is especially true when the outcome isn’t certain.
– When telling a story, there are three things to keep in mind.
– Know what you want to say.
– Know who you’re talking to.
– Match the way you present the information to the person.
– If you have a genuine example of another patient with a similar issue, that could be a good approach.
– It’s even better if that patient shares other characteristics with the patient you’re presenting to.
– The authors noted that different descriptions of a situation or problem lead people to draw different conclusions.
– Tailor your story to the conclusion you want your patient to reach.
– There are limits to how much information people can take in at one time.
– So pacing your story is important.
– And you have to guide your patient’s attention if he or she gets sidetracked or distracted.
– The storytelling approach may not be right for all your patients.
– But keep it in mind the next time you have a tough sell.
– Join me for tomorrow’s podcast.
– Until tomorrow, keep moving forward.