Is Dental Blogging Worth the Effort?
Having trouble watching this video? Click here.
Patient Attraction Episode 1138
In today’s online world, the importance of dental practice blogs ranks right up there with social media. But should they? The online marketing environment is constantly changing, and yesterday’s must-do’s turn into today’s don’t-do’s. There are some guidelines for blogs, including dental blogs, that will ensure your blog continues to produce as part of your overall marketing effort. I’ll share those recommendations right after the break. Stay tuned.
– Thanks for watching the Patient Attraction Podcast™.
– I’m Colin Receveur, founder and CEO of SmartBox.
– At SmartBox, we’re firm believers in the power of dental practice blogs.
– But only in the context of an integrated dental marketing system.
– Our team of expert writers provides content for most of our dentists’ blogs.
– So we have to stay abreast of the latest findings in what makes business blogs work – and what is basically the kiss of death.
– An article that appeared in late 2017 gathered feedback from over 1,000 bloggers.
– Not all of what they found applies to dentists’ blogs.
– You’re not writing an entertainment blog, after all.
– But there are some things that should serve as food for thought.
– First, around two-thirds of bloggers said that posting daily, or even multiple times a day, was very effective.
– That sounds great until you realize that the average blog length is now over 1,100 words.
– Try sitting down and writing a 1,000-word article, and see how long it takes you.
– The vast majority of dentists would struggle writing one article a week, much less one a day.
– In fact, the bloggers who report the most success say they spend around 6 hours for each post.
– And the average amount of time for regular bloggers to write a post is over 3 hours.
– Devoting that much time is something dentists simply can’t afford.
– After all, you make money by seeing patients and solving their dental problems.
– But dental blogs don’t need daily postings – once or twice a week is generally fine.
– So it makes sense to outsource your blog writing to a professional who “gets” dentistry and dental patients.
– Here are some tips that your blog writer needs to be aware of.
– Bloggers report that posts with more than one image attract more readers.
– Given the length of posts these days, that just makes sense.
– When it comes to online reading, keeping readers’ attention is crucial.
– Graphics and photos break up the “wall of text” and help hold attention.
– There’s considerable evidence to suggest that stock photos are generally less effective than real photos.
– However, SmartBox’s experience is that well-chosen stock photos are very acceptable on dental blogs.
– Your writer should have access to a good stock photo library.
– And be sure that his or her rate per post includes the images because stock photo costs can add up quickly.
– Once your blog has a good number of posts, consider having your writer update selected posts periodically.
– Updated posts are treated as new content by Google, which can help your search engine results page ranking.
– Now, I mentioned earlier that dental blogs are effective only when they’re part of an integrated marketing system.
– So paying someone just to write blog posts is probably a waste of your money.
– If you’re looking for maximum return on investment in the form of more and better patients, choose SmartBox’s industry-leading Patient Attraction System™.
– Dr. Michael Abernathy, the founder of Summit Practice Solutions, is a fan.
– He said, “I can say with all confidence that Colin Receveur knows what he’s doing to leverage the internet to help dentists attract more and better patients.
– “We use him, and probably the greatest endorsement I can give is that we encourage our clients to work with Colin.
– “We want them to be successful.
– “His systems guide you on how to attract potential patients to your website, what kinds of blogs, videos, content and pictures to put on your website …
– “and how to keep your name in front of potential patients and turn them into paying patients.”
– To learn what SmartBox’s Patient Attraction System™ can do for your practice, visit smartboxdentalmarketing.com.
– Click on the “Get Started” button to reserve your free, no-obligation Practice Discovery Session™.
– Invest 25 minutes of your time to discover how you can get more patients, more profits, and more freedom – and a whole lot of expertly written posts for your dental blog.
– Join me for our next podcast.
– Until then, keep moving forward.