Is your marketing helping, hurting, or making no difference?
Take our quiz and find out!
Having trouble watching this video? Click here.
Patient Attraction Episode 744
Money isn’t the only motivator for your dental office staff. In fact, it may not even be the most important one. Thinking outside the box can often engage and motivate people. When we come back, I’ll share some “out there but effective” motivational strategies.
– Welcome to the Patient Attraction Podcast. I’m Colin Receveur.
– Staff motivation tends to fluctuate over time.
– And poorly motivated staff can cost you money and patients.
– Even one unmotivated staff member’s attitude can infect the rest.
– The key is to find what your staff values – and it may not be what you think.
– Money isn’t always an option in a small practice.
– But the best motivators are those that are engaging, fun, and rewarding.
– Recognition works well for many people.
– Special plaques, awards, or certificates cost little but can mean a lot.
– Some practices have a trophy that goes to a different winner each month.
– And the monthly winners are entered into a year-end drawing for a prize.
– How about an “employee of the month” parking spot?
– Or a gift certificate to a local restaurant?
– Even recognition in your patient newsletter can motivate an employee.
– Fun can go a long way toward lightening the practice mood and re-engaging people.
– Halloween costume contests are fun for both staff and patients.
– Or let your assistants and hygienists decorate treatment rooms for a prize.
– Depending on how close your staff is, have each one write down a fact about themselves.
– Then pass around the anonymous list as a guessing game, with a prize to the winner.
– What works for one dental practice won’t necessarily work for another.
– And what motivates one employee won’t motivate all.
– You have to know your staff.
– Don’t be afraid to think outside the box to recognize and reward your staff.
– How about a “get out of work free” card that they can cash in as needed?
– A motivated staff does better work and provides your patients with a better overall experience.
– Take the time to learn what motivates your staff and reap the rewards.
– Join me for tomorrow’s podcast on content marketing tools.
– Until then, keep moving forward.