Having trouble watching this video? Click here.
Patient Attraction Episode 1123
Dentistry is listed as one of the best professions, but it can also be one of the more stressful ones. Outside of the physical aches and pains that most dentists live with, managing the business side of a dental practice can be a major source of stress. A dental practice lives or dies by the overall well-being of the owner. And if you find that you’re not shaking off the workday or workweek as well as you used to, you need to make some changes now. After the break, I’ll share some tips for managing stress to help you avoid burnout. Stay tuned.
– Thanks for watching the Patient Attraction Podcast™.
– I’m Colin Receveur, founder and CEO of SmartBox.
– Like you, I’m a small business owner.
– My business helps dentists like you get more and better patients.
– That’s what I find most rewarding, pretty much like you probably enjoy solving patients’ dental problems the most.
– But there’s a huge amount of business involved in running a small business.
– And a lot of my time is taken up by overseeing those other things.
– I’m sure it’s the same for you as a dental practice owner.
– I’ve had to learn some things about managing the stress that comes with wearing so many different hats as a business owner.
– Now, I’m not a dentist by any means, but the mechanics of running almost any small business are pretty much the same.
– So I’m going to share what I’ve found works for me to help me stay relaxed and focused.
– The first one is taking time away from the business.
– Being able to focus on the things I find relaxing and enjoyable really helps me re-energize.
-Don’t get me wrong; I love owning and running a successful business … just not 24/7/365.
– I realize that getting time away isn’t always easy for solo dentists.
– You either have to close your doors or find someone else to cover while you’re gone.
– It wasn’t easy for me to take time away for some years, either.
– So I learned to make the most of evenings and weekends.
– I stopped burying myself in articles and how-to business books, or hopping back on the computer to review things at the office.
– Now, I spend as much time as I can with family and friends.
– I take as many longer vacations as I can manage, and I thoroughly enjoy them.
– The second thing I learned to do was delegate.
– That may have been the hardest step to take.
– I was a one-man show when I started out.
– I did everything, from optimizing dentists’ websites to handling the billing, and a thousand other things.
– I finally realized that demand for my services had grown to the point where I had to bring on talent and trust them to do their jobs.
– That was tough at first, and I admit that I’m still probably a little more involved in areas where I’m really not needed.
– So that brings up the third thing – I had to learn to set boundaries.
– I’ve got world-class people working for me, but this is still a small business of more than 70 people.
– It’s easy for me to get sucked back into things that I really don’t need to get involved with.
– I had to learn how to say no to my staff, and no to myself.
– I had to learn when I was really and truly off from work and make that stick.
– It’s an ongoing process, as my staff and my wife will tell you.
– And with those 3 things more or less working, I realized that I needed to take better care of myself physically.
– That’s a work in progress too, but I’m feeling healthier, and my stamina has increased.
– These changes weren’t events; they were and are processes.
– So, take what you can from my experience and begin the process of managing and minimizing your stress.
– There is something SmartBox can do to help minimize your stress.
– I already mentioned that small business owners wear too many hats.
– You shouldn’t be wearing your practice marketing “guru” hat.
– You didn’t go to dental school to learn marketing, and frankly, it’s a waste of your time and talents.
– SmartBox helps more than 550 dentists on 3 continents get more and better patients.
– I’m talking double- or even triple-your-practice new patients.
– And we help dentists gain more time to see patients and make money by solving their dental problems.
– Learn what SmartBox’s industry-leading Patient Attraction System™ can do for your practice.
– Visit smartboxdentalmarketing.com and reserve your free Practice Discovery Session™.
– Not only can you be a lot more successful – you can also relax some while you’re getting there.
– Join me for our next podcast.
– Until then, keep moving forward.