Is your marketing helping, hurting, or making no difference?
Take our quiz and find out!
Patient Attraction Episode 460
Hello, and welcome to the Saturday edition of the Patient Attraction Podcast. Today I’m going to tell you the difference between advertising and marketing, and why one is better long-term than the other.
– Colin Receveur here, and thank you for joining me.
– I believe all dentists should use a well-rounded marketing approach to attract more and better patients.
– My company, SmartBox Web Marketing, focuses on attracting the dental patients YOU want on the Internet.
– But top marketers like my father, Dr. Ron Receveur, also are using offline advertising like commercials and other advertising, direct mail, and more.
– But for long-term, measurable success, which works better for dentists: marketing or advertising.
– I say marketing, and here is why:
– Advertising is like a book of matches: it burns really hot really fast, and then it flames out.
– So you run a commercial or direct mailer with a special, and a bunch of new people come in.
– But you have to KEEP running commercials with new specials to keep new people coming in.
– Marketing is more like a single match.
– You start small, build slowly, and end up with a bonfire.
– So it really comes down to a choice.
– A choice between two paths in pursuit of patients.
– Most dentists have no idea this choice exists, let alone which path to choose.
– I guess you could describe what we do at SmartBox as “walking dentists down the road less traveled.”
– It’s definitely not a well-worn path … for a reason.
– When you are getting started, it doesn’t appear like this “road less traveled “ is a smart way to go.
– It doesn’t seem very direct.
– And to be frank, it isn’t.
– And it’s a much slower path to the goal.
– But we’re not in the business of FAST.
– Nothing good comes quickly.
– Good luck with that if that is what you’re looking for.
– We’re in the business of effective and stable and long-term.
– We’re in the business of “build it once and reap the benefits forever.”
– So here’s the choice:
Most dentists go to get patients.
– That sounds logical, after all.
– Who doesn’t want patients?
– That’s not what we do.
– Our focus is on building a system that gets patients.
– A more accurate term would probably be that it “grows “ patients.
– That’s a very different, and much more strategic, route to the goal.
– Think about that for a second.
– If you wake up one day and decide you need more patients in your practice, the average dentist is going to go buy some advertising.
– New patients will come in.
– Then, when that flow begins to dwindle, another the dentist has to go out and buy another ad.
– This is a hamster wheel.
– And it’s one you can never jump off of!
– A system is different.
– A system is predictable.
– A system requires smaller levels of input and focus over time while still creating larger results.
– It’s a beautiful thing.
– So think about which path YOU’D choose to take, knowing what I just revealed to you.
– The choice is yours.
– If you’re ready to discover what my clients know that you don’t about attracting patients online, you should schedule a Patient Attraction Blueprint Session. They are free to serious dentists who want to see a patient attraction system that can double their practice. For more information, go to smartboxdentalmarketing.com/blueprint.
– Until tomorrow, keep moving forward.