Is your marketing helping, hurting, or making no difference?
Take our quiz and find out!
Having trouble watching this video? Click here.
Patient Attraction Episode 934
Recent research from the ADA suggests that the incidence of untreated dental cavities in patients age 65-plus has increased since 2004. After the break, I’ll be back to tell you why seniors in your market might be an untapped source of revenue. Stay tuned.
– Welcome to the Patient Attraction Podcast™.
– I’m Colin Receveur.
– According to an October release by the ADA, untreated dental caries in seniors is about 4 percent higher than it was in 2004.
– The reasons seem to come down to the fact that Medicare doesn’t cover most dental procedures.
– And that the vast majority of seniors are on fixed incomes.
– The first point is certainly valid, although for many people, the value of dental insurance is questionable.
– It’s common to get about a thousand dollars in coverage for an annual fee of several hundred dollars.
– Still, insurance can make the difference in whether someone calls your office or not.
– And seniors often don’t have dental insurance.
– The second point – that seniors are on fixed incomes – is debatable.
– After full retirement age, there are no restrictions on how much seniors can earn.
– So just like someone in their 30s who takes a second job, seniors in good health can also work for the things they want.
– Let’s say that you have a senior patient who needs 2 teeth replaced.
– You quote a total cost of 10,000 dollars for 2 implants and restorations, just to pick a figure.
– Their immediate reaction is, “I don’t have that kind of money!”
– But if you offer low- or no-interest payment plans, they can easily earn that money.
– Working half-time at 10 dollars an hour, seniors can earn a little more than 10,000 dollars in a year before taxes.
– So, a healthy senior could pay off those 2 implants in a little more than a year.
– I’m not suggesting that we send a generation of seniors back to work.
– I am suggesting that many seniors without dental insurance have options to pay for the work they need.
– And that makes them a potentially profitable market for you, if your marketing makes it clear that you have pay-over-time options.
– Going a little wider with this idea, don’t be too quick to dismiss the notion that a certain demographic can’t afford you.
– History has shown that if people really want something, they’ll often find a way to get it.
– Join me for our next podcast.
– Until then, keep moving forward.