Is your marketing helping, hurting, or making no difference?
Take our quiz and find out!
Patient Attraction Episode 332
If you buy display ads on Google, I’m going to tell you why they are likely no more effective than TV commercials. Stay tuned.
– For many people, the TV commercial is a thing of the past.
– Thanks to online streaming and DVRs, many people are able to bypass TV commercials entirely.
– Online ads, however, are supposed to be more targeted.
– Thanks to retargeting and other methods, online ads are supposed to put your ads in front of viewers who WANT to see them.
– According to information Google released late last year, that likely isn’t happening.
– The search engine and advertising juggernaut revealed that 56.1 percent of ads on the Internet aren’t even on the screen for 1 second.
– This goes along with data from some other companies that indicates half of online ads are never seen, and many of those that receive views come from bots, not people.
– In its announcement, Google also detailed which shape, locations on the page, and types of web pages were most likely to have a higher viewership rate.
– But the big takeaway is that if you are pouring your money into buying impressions, you are probably wasting your money.
– Even with Google’s announcement that its Active View product will measure only ad “views,” I encourage you to be very skeptical and judicious in your use of online display ads.
– We use pay-per-click ads for our clients, as research shows that prospects who click on these ads are more willing to buy and willing to pay more.
– Plus, you only pay when they click on the ad – not when it appears on the screen.
– So unless you want to contribute to Google’s $55 billion ad revenue without getting anything in return, stick with PPC.
– Until tomorrow, keep moving forward.