Is your marketing helping, hurting, or making no difference?
Take our quiz and find out!
Patient Attraction Episode 523: 5 Tips for Dentists to Call BS on SEO Marketers
Yesterday, we did a Flashback Friday episode on SEO for dentists. Today I want to quote one of my favorite marketers, Dan Kennedy, and give you a couple of days of “No BS” on search engine optimization so you know when someone is trying to take advantage of you. Stay tuned.
– Hi, Colin Receveur here, and today I’m going to help you tune your BS detector when an SEO company calls on you promising you the moon.
– It’s funny how many articles there are online about how to keep from being ripped off by SEO companies.
– Clearly there is interest in this topic.
– And there should be: SEO companies are trying to make money off of dentists.
– Dentists don’t know how SEO works, so they’re not sure if the pitch they hear will really draw new patients or is just a bunch of bull.
– So the next time an SEO firm’s sales rep calls you and pitches you a package that is “SURE to help bring you more business,” here are some tips on knowing when to call BS:
- They tell you how they are going to stuff your site full of keywords.
– BS! Google’s Panda upgrade put an end to that.
– It was so important, I wrote a book about Panda for dentists.
– Be wary of the words “cloaking” or “invisible text” as well.
- They are going to update your site’s H1 tags.
– BS! This sounds good, but all it means is they are going to establish the header hierarchy on your site.
– This has NOTHING to do with how high your site ranks on search engine results pages, or SERPs.
- They mention optimizing your meta description.
– BS! Meta description is nothing more than the little paragraph that pops up under the main link in a SERP.
– It is has nothing to do with ranking and everything about enticing prospects once they see the results.
- They tell you how many backlinks they are going to get you.
– BS! Google’s Penguin update did away with this, too.
– Companies continue to buy links, and Google hits you hard if they nail you.
– This is a black hat tactic to stay away from.
– The only way to benefit from backlinks, that is, other sites that link to you, is to earn them.
- They won’t explain specifically what they are doing to your website.
– BS! It is YOUR website.
– Any SEO provider should be able to tell you specifically what they are doing to increase your SEO.
– You can learn more about all these topics in my latest book, “Attract More Patients in the Next Six Months Than in the Last Six Years.” The book is the culmination of all my marketing expertise, and it can be yours for only the $4.97 cost of shipping at www.MoreAndBetterPatients.com while supplies last.
– Come back tomorrow and I’m going to give you five more tips to see if an SEO company is trying to rip off your dental practice.
– Until then, keep moving forward.