Is your marketing helping, hurting, or making no difference?
Take our quiz and find out!
Patient Attraction Episode 219
Oh boy, today is going to be a fun podcast. I hope you brought your Dramamine because I’m going to have your head spinning for the next three minutes as we get really techie about five must-haves to boost your SEO. Stay tuned.
– I’m Colin Receveur, founder and CEO of SmartBox Web Marketing.
– My first professional love was building websites.
– It’s not very often that I get to nerd out and talk website infrastructure, mostly because I don’t want to confuse and bore my loyal audience.
– So usually when I talk about SEO, I write in non-technical terms about writing good content and developing smart keywords, and so on.
– But today I have no choice but to get out the pocket protector and the thick glasses.
– There are five things that MUST be going on behind the scenes on your website if you want to maximize your search engine optimization.
– First, you must be using consistent URLs.
– Now, if I’ve already lost you and you don’t know what a URL is, go ahead and forward to about 30 seconds before the end.
– The rest will be a waste of your time.
– For those of you still here, the URL that your website visitor sees, the URLs that you use to link pages internally and the links you use in your XML sitemap MUST be the same.
– If they aren’t, update them, and when you change one, change them all.
– Second, use short URLs without a lot of parameters.
– Wow, the lights just got brighter.
– Must have been from all of the viewers all over the country that just turned off the podcast.
– For the rest of you, you want to limit the parameters so the Google spiders can crawl your website faster.
– It also makes it easier for the spiders to understand what is on the page if you use words instead of numbers, hyphens instead of underlines and avoid subdomains if you can.
– Third, post important copy at the top of your page.
– That doesn’t sound too technical, right?
– Well, that means not sticking it behind a div command or burying it under linked content or images.
– Google spiders index from top to bottom, and they consider those things at the top to be of higher value than those things at the bottom.
– Fourth, change your title tags to be more than just keywords.
– Your title tag shows up under the link in a keyword search.
– Use this space as an opportunity to draw in the clients you want.
– A best practice is to use a call to action in your title tag.
– So that Minneapolis cosmetic dentist might use a title tag of “Come and see how beautiful your smile can be when you visit Minneapolis cosmetic dentist Dr. Smith.”
– Finally, decrease your website’s load time.
– Slow load times hurt you in two ways:
– 1. It takes spiders longer to index your page and that hurts your ranking.
– 2. Real people, you know, the one’s you are trying to attract, won’t wait around all day.
– Data shows that 47 percent of people expect a web page to load in 2 seconds or faster.
– So this means you have to get in there and delete everything you don’t need.
– Whatever it takes, speed up that page.
– If this has been confusing, don’t feel bad.
– It is confusing.
– That’s why you hire somebody to manage your website.
– If you’re ready to discover what my clients know that you don’t about attracting patients online, you should schedule a Patient Attraction Blueprint Session. They are free to serious dentists who want to see a patient attraction system that can double their practice. For more information, go to smartboxdentalmarketing.com/blueprint.
– Until tomorrow, keep moving forward.