Is your marketing helping, hurting, or making no difference?
Take our quiz and find out!
Having trouble watching this video? Click here.
Patient Attraction Episode 742
It’s been about 14 months since Google updated its Penguin algorithm. If it hasn’t happened already, another change is coming soon. Since this upcoming change may affect your dental website’s SEO, I’ll be back after the break with some tips on how to prepare your site for the March of the Penguin.
– I’m Colin, and welcome to the Patient Attraction Podcast.
– Google’s Penguin update loves to find website link spam.
– In fact, that’s a large part of why it was created.
– Penguin is due for another update soon.
– In fact, it could have already happened.
– Google rarely announces its updates.
– If the past is any judge, a lot of people will be hit on their search rankings.
– And while there’s no way to be sure what the update will contain, there are things you can do to get ready.
– Penguin searches for spam backlinks, or links from another site to yours.
– Black hat SEO practitioners use spam links to artificially raise a page’s search ranking.
– But Penguin also doesn’t like low-quality links.
– The definition of a low-quality link varies, but here are 3 of the characteristics.
– First, the link doesn’t make sense with the content of your site.
– For instance, a link to your dental practice site from a paving company.
– Second, it doesn’t send you much traffic, if any.
– And third, it comes from a page that is low on Google’s PageRank.
– So, tip 1: You can download your backlink report from Google Search Console.
– If you find low-quality or even spam links, you have two options, which are our next two tips:
– Tip 2 is to contact the webmaster of that domain and request that the link be removed.
– That can take a lot of time and isn’t guaranteed.
– Or, go for tip 3: Use Google’s link disavow tool.
– That basically tells Google not to count those suspect links in your page ranking.
– And tip 4 is to keep a constant eye on your website, because you have no control over who backlinks to you.
– You’ll want to start watching your search page ranking.
– If your ranking suddenly drops from 3d to 15th, you’ve probably been trampled by the March of the Penguin.
– In which case, it’s time to do a thorough spring cleaning on your website.
– I’ll keep you posted as new information becomes available.
– Until then, keep moving forward.